In honor of World Breastfeeding Week (August 1-7, 2011) check out this video of celebs talking about their experiences breastfeeding their children.
Here are just some of the many benefits to moms and babies as listed by the Minnesota Department of Health:
- Breastmilk is the perfect food for babies.
- Breastmilk is easy to digest.
- Breastfed babies are healthier and have fewer infections and illnesses.
- Breastfeeding helps your baby’s eyes and brain develop.
- Breastfeeding helps you lose weight and get back into shape.
- Breastfeeding has health benefits like lowering your risk of ovarian cancer, breast cancer and osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding is great for mother-baby bonding.
- Moms and babies enjoy breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding saves money (no formula or bottle costs, fewer doctor bills and medication costs).
- Breastfeeding saves time. No messy bottles to fix at night, so everyone sleeps better.
- Breastfed babies are easy to take on trips. Just grab the diapers and go!
For help with breastfeeding or to view the breastfeeding class schedule for Douglas County Public Health, click here.