These days, adults like you are spending more time at work than ever before. An unfortunate side effect is that, as a nation, we’re becoming more inactive. This is a problem when you consider the fact that physical inactivity doubles the risk of heart disease!
But take heart! It’s a problem you can help fix by convincing your company to take part in National Start! Walking Day.
On this day, employees are encouraged to wear sneakers to work and take at least 30 minutes out of their day to get up and walk. It’s a great way to raise awareness of the Start! movement and to give your coworkers a friendly push toward a healthier life.
Get the Ball Rolling – Sign Up for Your Toolkit!
It’s simple to get your company to participate in National Start! Walking Day. Start by having your HR representative or Worksite Wellness coordinator fill out this registration form to download the National Start! Walking Day Toolkit for your company. It includes posters, flyers, a PowerPoint presentation and signs, which you can use to set up walking paths around the office. Look for the link to the kit in your confirmation email.
Get Others Involved
- Begin by inviting coworkers to wear their sneakers to work
- Encourage employees to get in their 30 minutes of walking that day.
- Change one of your meetings to a walking meeting, and let your colleagues know why.
- Start! Shopping for something green to wear. It shows you support the American Heart Association’s walking movement.
- Host a walk and/or rally to show your commitment to living longer, healthier lives.
- Get the word out about your walk by first registering for our free, downloadable National Start! Walking Day Tool Kit. In your confirmation e-mail you’ll have a link to access posters, flyers, e-mail scripts and more to easily promote National Start! Walking Day in your workplace.
- Join others across the country and be part of the solution to get America walking.
- Discover and share more information from the American Heart Association about why physical activity is so important.
- Rally your family, friends and neighbors to walk that day – and every day.
Taking just 10 minutes three times a day to walk will help you live longer. In fact, studies show that just one hour of vigorous exercise will increase your life expectancy by two hours. It makes sense to walk more and eat well – to live longer.